At night, not only the brain sleeps, but the whole body. When we fall asleep, all processes, including digestion, slow down.
If you ate at night, the body will have to abandon the built-in and well-coordinated work on recovery and start the process of digestion, spend a lot of energy on it. In addition, at night, the activity of enzymes, the production of gastric juice and other mechanisms of digestion are reduced - because of this, food will not be able to be properly absorbed and provide the body with nutrients, vitamins, and the necessary micro and macro elements.
Nutritionists believe that the last meal should be no less than 4 hours before bedtime. If you're used to going to bed at 10 pm, then the 6 o'clock rule will work for you. If you cannot fall asleep before midnight, then the time line will shift.
When you are overeating at night, food is not digested properly, is not absorbed into the walls of the small intestine, and in the large intestine it is exposed to pathogenic microflora, which leads to the formation of toxins. These unhealthy conditions can lead to feeling unwell, abdominal pain and heaviness, and weight gain.
You do not need energy at night, so when insulin levels rise, the process of redistributing sugar in the liver and adipose tissues is disturbed, because of this, excess fat accumulates in the body. Please note: if the last meal took place right before bedtime, there is a high probability that you will wake up in a broken state.
What to do if there was a "breakdown"?
There are days when it is difficult to keep a meal schedule. Let's say you got home very late, and dinner was at 2 pm. In this case, you can afford a light dinner, but approach the choice of products responsibly.
The main thing is that this meal should not exceed a quarter of the calorie content and volume of the daily diet.
What to eat before bed in "emergency cases"?
- You can snack on scrambled eggs (preferably protein ones), some nuts, unsweetened yogurt or cottage cheese.
- Another option is to drink a glass of kefir. 1.5-2 hours will be enough for the product to be digested, and the body can take the maximum benefit from it. Kefir is rich in calcium, but at the same time contains many times less lactose than in milk. There are also few calories in the drink, which is a big plus.
1) Skinless chicken or turkey meat will keep your metabolism at a good level and will not interfere with a good night's sleep. It is a source of vitamins A, E, B and a whole complex of minerals.
2) The fish has a very low percentage of fat, but there is a lot of healthy protein. For eating at night to lose weight, choose low-fat varieties - cod, pike, hake.
3) Another effective way not to gain weight is to eat berries before bed. In one glass of strawberries or blueberries - no more than 70 calories, and vitamins and antioxidants - a huge amount.